5 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Signing Up for a Medicare Plan
Over the past 65 years of your life, you have achieved hundreds of milestones. Reaching this age is another grand milestone. Now is your time to travel around, pick up new hobbies, and spend valuable time with your loved ones. It’s also the perfect timing to sign up for a Medicare plan.
When exploring the ideal health coverage, you need to plan out how you will spend your time. Asking the right questions will be of great help.
Here are some things that need your attention:
1. How Can I Benefit From Extra Coverage?
With increasing age comes the problems related to hearing, visions, and oral health. And they may get in your way to enjoy your life to the fullest. It means that you need to keep your hearing, vision, and oral health fit. It is why you need to keep your current and upcoming needs in mind when looking for health coverage options:
- Original Medicare: Parts A and B of Original Medicare don’t cover hearing, vision, and dental services. You’ll have to pay for them. So, if you are already on Original Medicare, you have to buy an additional plan.
- Medicare Advantage: Most Medicare Advantage plans provide coverage for hearing, vision, and dental services. You can access them through private insurers. Costs and coverage can vary. Therefore, you have to decide according to your needs.
- Medicare Supplement: Only some Medicare Supplement plan gives coverage for hearing, vision, and dental procedures.
2. Do I Want the Flexibility to Visit Any Doctor?
Finding the right doctor is also an essential part of a health coverage plan. So, keep in mind that some Medicare Advantage plan restricts your visit to only in-network doctors. However, others may allow you to choose any doctor, but at a higher cost.
On the other hand, the Original Medicare plan allows you to choose any doctor if they accept Medicare. It is why you need to choose your coverage carefully.
Here are a few things you must know:
· Medicare Advantage HMO plans:
These plans allow you to visit in-network doctors only, but there is an exception in the case of emergency care. This plan lowers the monthly premiums and copays.
· Medicare Advantage PPO plans:
These plans have relatively higher monthly premiums, but you have the flexibility to visit any doctor.
3. Will I Travel Outside the U.S Shortly?
Do you plan to travel outside the country? Then it is better to supplement your coverage. It will ensure a guaranteed international health coverage
· Some Medical Supplement plans may cover your medical expenses when outside the U.S.
· Medical Advantage plans may also cover your cost for emergency medical procedures that took place outside the U.S.
Plans may vary, so contact your plan representative before leaving the country.
4. How Will Choosing Prescription Drug Coverage Benefit Me?
Original Medicare doesn’t provide cost coverage for prescription drugs. So, you need to add a plan that gives coverage. However, you can choose the Medicare Advantage plan as it also covers prescription drugs.
Here are some things you need to consider before selecting a plan:
· Make sure that the option you choose covers your medication.
· Choose the preferred pharmacies under your plan to get more cost off.
5. Do I Want Multiple Medicare Plans?
We understand it is a busy time for you as you are making life changes. And you may also prefer to simplify things further, including your health coverage plan.
Are you not in favor of adding additional plans to your original Medicare to retrieve all the benefits? Then we have an alternative for you. The Medicare Advantage plan, given by private insurers, is ideal for you. It provides hospital and medical coverage, along with a prescription drug plan.
After considering these questions, you are fully ready to sign up for Medicare. Then you can enjoy spending time on things that delight you.